WARNING: SPOILER ALERT AHEAD.
I never would have thought that I would enjoy watching Game of Thrones. If you would’ve asked me a year ago what I was watching, it certainly would not be #GOT. It’s a show that me, who thrives watching Friends and grew up watching Hannah Montana, would never imagine watching. But alas, here I am. On season 3 and writing a recap of season 2.
This is certainly not a review, or recommendation (although I highly recommend you watch it). This is only a recap of Season 2. So yes, there are some spoilers involved. This is primarily for people who have already watched the show or people who are watching now and want to keep up with my GOT adventure. I decided I want to do this halfway through season 2, so there’s no season 1 recap.
Alright, let’s get into the recap:
First things first, Ned Stark DIED? Yeah, I’m gonna start one off with a big whammy. At first, I thought it wasn’t real. I thought somehow, someway that they were going to bring back Ned even though he had been beheaded. But nooo, he’s gone. And THEN, Joffrey (I refuse to call him king or “your grace”) has the balls (yeah, right) to beat Sansa, his supposed lady and soon-to-be wife (praying for whoever takes that role). So naturally, I hate Joffrey. I’ve hated Joffrey long before, ever since he fought Arya in the fields and had that poor squire killed by the Hound. Joffrey is just one twisted, incest-product, sick kid who needs to be overthrown.
Not doing this in any particular order, but how I made my notes while watching the show (future seasons I’ll go episode-by-episode) is I just jotted down whatever came to me in the heat of the moment. Let me just tell you now, that Lord Tyrion is my FAVORITE character, hands-down. I love his cleverness, snarkiness, and honestly, his quest to be vulnerable (you’ll see that later in season 2). In the beginning of season 2, you see that same old, snarky Tyrion. By the end of the season 2, you see a real, good-hearted, noble Tyrion. And I’m here for it. He sees the bullshit behind his nephew’s blonde hair, and isn’t as afraid to stand up to the king as everyone else (read: Jon Arryn and Ned Stark).
A couple side notes from early season 2: I think Bran is a tad annoying and Jon Snow is a hottie. The Night’s Watch is very similar to the U.S. Army. Lady Stark (Catelyn) is a badass. Enough said.
Queen Cersei: I have mixed opinions on her. Like, I know she’s easy to hate and evil and whatever, but like…she also knows how to be a true, real queen of the seven kingdoms. Corrected: she knows how to be a leader. She knows what she wants, she knows what the kingdom wants (partly), but I wouldn’t mind if she’s overthrown. She is very selfish, but she loves her children more than anything in the world. Like, that scene with her daughter leaving…heartbreaking. So I give her character a 6.5/10. I wouldn’t want to be BFFs with her, but she’s on my list of so-called “girl bosses.”
Daenarys. The true queen, the mother of dragons. Ahh, let’s talk about her for a second. Besides Tyrion, she’s my second-favorite character. Her and Tyrion are neck-and-neck for my favorite character slot. She’s the true queen; she’s a natural-born Targarian (check spelling). She’s proved it not only because of her bloodline, but because she’s a natural-born leader. (#feminism, #girlpower) And she’s mourning the loss of her husband AND her unborn child. When her mega-hottie husband, Khal Drogo falls off his horse and well, dies, she tries to bring him back like any sane (maybe) wife would, but fails to do so and as a result, loses the Dothraki’s loyalty as they all go off in some direction and then we hear nothing else from them. Only a few stay behind, like the hottie man with the curly hair that follows her around and well, Jorah. Jorah is cool. He’s a good advisor, something that ANY leader needs (looking @ you, Trump). He’s a good advisor to Daenarys, because she is young, and willing to take advice — unlike “your grace” aka King Joffrey (I already broke my own rule of never calling him king) and well, Daenarys’ brother, who died in season 1. Overall, Daenarys is a force to be reckoned with and I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up becoming Queen of the 7 Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.
Let’s see…the recap. For the rest of this post, I’m going to hit the highlights (in no particular order).
- I’d die for Samwell Tarly (as I told every single one of my friends and family).
- The House of Stark is my fav.
- Can Joffrey just NOT? (Saying this again for people in the back)
- What is the House of Stark now??? (@ episode 5 when Theon takes over Winterfell)
- What is Theon doing? The House of Stark RAISED him to be a man and this is what he does to repay them? By killing Rodrik? I am ashamed of him. ASHAMED.
- Daenarys is the true queen (saying this again for emphasis).
- OMG Cersei’s daughter! My heart is breaking at her tears.
- Joffrey is not a true king. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Joffrey’s character? He has no sense of how to be a good king.
- Robb Stark got a new love interest…let’s see how this plays out BOI.
- Talisa seems like a strong, independent woman…just like the type of woman Robb Stark needs.
- Who is this girl that Jon Snow is flirting with?!?
- OMG, that’s his wife in real life?!? They’re married?! OMG!!!
- “WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS??” Seriously, Daenarys is like, seriously obsessed with her dragons. They cute, though.
- Jaime Lannister is sick.
- When Sansa got her period, lol #relatable AF.
- Cersei saying that love is weakness is harsh but true — I feel that on a spiritual level.
- The Lannisters are EVIL. Enough said.
- Lord Tyrion though…
- Is Robb Stark and Tulisa going to get together? Yes.
- Any Arya scene is perfection.
- I really need to make a family tree.
- #BringBackKhalDrogo (oh wait, they did for a second in later season 2).
- This theme song gets me every time.
- OK, so what is this battle at King’s Landing? You don’t really think Stannis is going to steal the throne, right?? I do think Joffrey is going to die (he’s not), because well, it’s him. But Cersei still has to be queen regent, right? Who else would rule?
- OMG OK STANNIS AT KING’S LANDING THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
- What is the Hound? Who is the Hound? Why is the Hound? I just have no idea what his “agenda” is and why he’s here.
- This bald guy on the Council dressed like a monk is creepy and annoying. Like why is he just ALWAYS there. He pops out of nowhere like…my cat.
- The Hound, however, is the true king of one-liners. He knows how to deliver the comedy at the good parts.
- Only GOT would have green wildfire and only Kind’s Landing (aka the Lannisters) would use green wildfire to burn their enemies.
- OH. MY. GOD. Did the Hound really just say “F*** the King?” I KNEW I LOVED HIM. And of course Joffrey would RUN! He’s not a true KING!
- What is the Hound’s obsession with Sansa? Lol.
- OMG Sansa is becoming free of Joffrey and now she is FREE. And she’s questioning her worth. Girl, have you seen Joffrey?
- Majorie is like, I got the throne to Sansa but Sansa like, hon you don’t even know what you’re getting yourself into.
- Also, Brienne is psycho but I love it.
Whoa…a lot of notes. But I hope you like this recap. Honestly, I might be the only one on this planet that’s watching GOT from start to finish now. Since season 8 is on air as we speak, I figured why not starting this series? I hope my recap gives a more understanding of what this show entails. If not, I hope it brings some laughs. If not even that, then why ya reading? Lol.
***Disclaimer: I know this is a huge difference than what you normally see on my blog, but I wanna try something new.